Rules Common to all NJFCC Competitions
1. All contests are only open to NJFCC member clubs.
2. Images must have been made by the declared individual photographer. Submitting
someone else's work is not permitted.
3. All entries must be received by NJFCC Chairperson on or before
the competition deadline due date.
4. Individuals having multiple club memberships are permitted to enter only under
one club name for any given competition.
5. A club can submit a maximum of 3 entries per individual except for Tops in
NJ where only 1 entry per maker is allowed.
6. Submission of virtually the same image in more than one division or category
is not permitted. *An example*: an image is submitted in a nature projection
competition. It may not also be submitted in a pictorial competition or a other
competition of any kind. Similarly, a monochrome rendition of a color image, and
vice versa, may only be submitted in one of the categories.
7. Entries that did not receive an award in any competition are permitted to re-submit
their image in a subsequent competition only one time, except as provided in the
7a. Medal, merit award, or honorable mention winning images from any non-TOPS competition
may be resubmitted only one time in a TOPs in NJ competition.
8. Persons submitting images to the NJFCC competitions must accept that NJFCC shall
not be responsible for loss or damage to images.
9. All images submitted for NJFCC competitions can be used for display only on the
NJFCC website with full credit given to the maker. A maker can notify the appropriate
chairperson if they wish to have their image removed from the website.
Print Competition Rules
All Print Competitions are OPEN, meaning there are no topics. Image manipulation/creativity is allowed, but ALL images must be made from an original photo from the maker.
The Print Chairs in each club will collect prints from the members and complete the labels and entry forms.
The Prints are to be submitted to the NJFCC Print Chairs at the Delegates Meeting prior to the competition date.
The minimum image size is 8in.x10in. or 80 square inches. The maximum size (image or image plus backing) is 16in.x20in. Prints measuring 16x20 must be mounted on a 16x20 mat or foam board. For 16x20 images, the mount must not extend beyond the border of the image. However if your image is smaller than 16x20 your mount can be as large as the acceptable size of 16x20.
a. Prints may be mounted on mat board or thin foam core. Images mounted on oak tag will be disqualified.
b. Prints must be securely mounted. Any print not secured is subject to disqualification.
c. No over matting or window matting is allowed.
d. No signatures, copyrights, titles or any other marking may be present on the front of the image or mount.
NOTE: Any entry in violation of these rules will be disqualified.
Maximum number of entries per club is 24 color and 24 monochrome except for Tops in NJ where the number of entries per club is unlimited. For regular competitions each maker is limited to 3 images. For Tops In NJ competitions, the limit is 1 image per maker.
The NJFCC defines Monochrome as follows. A single-toned image such as Black and White or Sepia, with no additional accent color.
Pictorial Competition Rules
1. Images may not be created from scratch by drawing or any other
2. Photographic images may be distorted with software to create interesting looking
images with the exception being the Photo Travel Competition. See
rules in 3a, 3b, and 3c below.
*An example*: objects within an original photograph may be twisted to create
an abstract or surreal image.
3. Special Photo Travel Competition Rules
3a. Photo Travel is defined as: An image that captures the feeling of a time and
place, and portrays a land, its people, or a culture in its natural state.
3b. Ultra close-ups, studio type model shots are not acceptable.
3c. Any form of image manipulation that misrepresents the true situation or that
alters the content of the image is not permitted.
4. Maximum number of entries per club is 24 except for Tops in NJ
where the number or entries per club is unlimited. *Reminder* A total
of only 3 entries per maker are allowed with the exception being Tops in NJ
where only 1 entry per maker is allowed.
5. Image sizing
5a.Image files must have a JPEG file format and a maximum file size of 1.5 megabytes.
5b.Images must be saved in sRGB color space.
5c.Images must be sized for 1050 pixels along the longest edge. Square images, where
both height and width are 1050 pixels, are acceptable.
5d.The photographer's name, trademarks and/or copyright notices may not appear in
6. Follow the Club Competition Procedures
for submission instructions.
Nature Competition Rules
- All Nature competitions are divided into 4 individual categories: General Nature, Botany, Zoology (includes insects), and Ornithology.
- General Nature: This category includes landscapes, seascapes, rock formations and anything else that does not fall into Botanical, Ornithological or Zoological.
- Botanical: This category includes plants and fungi.
- Ornithological: this category includes birds.
- Zoological: This category includes all animals except for birds. Basically, if it walks, crawls, flies or swims, it is an animal and must be entered in the Zoological category.
- Images shall be judged on the story-telling aspect first. If all elements are judged to be the same, then pictorial quality shall take precedence.
- The presence of scientific bands on wild animals is acceptable.
- Human elements shall not be present except on the rare occasion where those elements enhance the nature story.
- Photographs of domesticated animals, mounted specimens and obviously set arrangements are not acceptable.
Farm animals are considered to be domesticated. If an animal is an exotic pet,
it must be taken in a natural setting - no bars, fences or man-made objects. Examples of exotic
pets are chimpanzees, alligators, alpacas, etc.
- Any form of image manipulation that misrepresents the true situation or that
alters the content of the image is not permitted. Minor cloning to remove small
incidental distractions in the image are permitted if the cloning operation is undetectable
by the judge. A judge may disqualify any image in which he or she detects evidence
of cloning or pasting.
- NEW for 2013-2014!!! Any plant may be included as long as it is photographed in a natural setting.
- Maximum number of entries per club is 24 total divided among the four categories
except for Tops in NJ where the number or entries per club is unlimited.
*Reminder* A total of 3 images per maker in all categories. The exception
is Tops in NJ where only 1 entry per maker is allowed in any one of the four categories.
- Image sizing
- Image files must have a JPEG file format and a maximum file size of 1.5 megabytes.
- Images must be saved in sRGB color space.
- Images must be sized at 1050 pixels along the longest edge. Square images, where both dimensions are 1050 are acceptable.
- The photographer's name, trademarks and/or copyright notices may not appear in an image.
- Follow the Club Competition Procedures
for submission instructions.
Hosting NJFCC Competitions
Clubs Provide: Competition location and projection screens. Clubs also arrange
for, pay for, and introduce the three (3) judges.
NJFCC Provides: Central collection point for all club entries, randomize
the order of entries, and bring all entries to host club on night of competition.
The NJFCC also brings our multiple judge scoring device, the electronic image projector,
as well as the laptop computer. The NJFCC chairperson conducts competition, collects
score records, and returns entries (with NJFCC awards-Plaques, Medals, & Ribbons)
to the club delegates at the next NJFCC monthly meeting or by mail (if postage has
been provided). The NJFCC will also reimburse the hosting club $200 to offset the
cost of the judges.